Congratulations to our Super Recipe Contest winners! Thank you to everyone who submitted a recipe!
1st Prize: Chorizo Street Tacos by Kirstin Dolmetsch
For the Tacos:
1 lb of Joes Produce Housemade Ground Chorizo
½ white onion- minced
¼ cup cilantro- chopped
Juice of ½ lime
Salt and pepper to taste
20 Corn tortillas
½ tsp corn or vegetable oil
Chipotle Hot Sauce (recipe below)
1. Brown chorizo in a skillet over medium high until browned and cooked throughout (about 10 minutes). Turn heat down to low to keep warm until you are ready to assemble your tacos.
2. In a small separate bowl- combine onion, cilantro, and lime
3. Mix onion/cilantro mixture until well incorporated and season with salt/pepper to taste- set aside until ready for taco assembly
4. To heat tortillas: place corn/vegetable oil in a non-stick skillet and heat over medium-low heat
5. Place 1 tortilla in the skillet 1 minute on each side until warm and soft. Repeat until all tortillas are heated adding extra oil if the skillet gets too dry
6. To assemble the tacos: place chorizo in warm tortilla, top with onion/cilantro mixture, squeeze chipotle hot sauce
Chipotle Hot Sauce:
3-4 Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 large beefsteak tomato sliced in half
2 cloves of garlic- peeled, and left whole
1/2 large white onion
Salt to taste
1. Place all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat
2. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes until soft- stirring occasionally
3. Place saucepan contents into a blender or food processor
4. Blend until smooth
5. Set aside to cool
6. Store hot sauce in air tight Tupperware container or plastic bottle for up to 2 weeks- great on just about everything!
2nd Prize: Chicken & Corn Cakes by V. Sargent
2 cups COOKED OR ROTISSERIED CHICKEN BREAST, SHREDDED
1 teaspoon DICED GARLIC
½ teaspoon KOSHER SALT
½ teaspoon BLACK PEPPER
1 cup SALSA (I RECOMMEND MICHIGAN MADE “CHUCK AND DAVE’S SWEET ONION SALSA” – YUMMY!)
⅓ cup FRESH CORN FROM THE COB
¼ cup DICED TOMATOES WITH GREEN CHILIES
½ cup CORNMEAL
PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 °F.
THOROUGHLY MIX EGG AND CORNMEAL. COMBINE ALL OTHER INGREDIENTS WITH EGG/MEAL.
USE AN ICE CREAM SCOOP TO PLACE MIXTURE IN GREASED MUFFIN PAN.
BAKE FOR 15 MINUTES OR UNTIL GOLDEN BROWN
3rd Prize: Black Bean Chili by Michelle Voineag
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1large onion, chopped
2 yellow bell peppers, chopped
2 teaspoons cumin
3 -15 ounce black beans, rinses & well drained
1 can tomato with green chilies
1 can tomato with roasted garlic & onion
2 cups low salt tomato juice
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the chopped onion, pepper, cumin and salt. Saute until onion & peppers are soft, approx 10 minutes. Add all other ingredients, bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium and cook for 30 minutes, stir occasionally. Remove approx half of the chili and place in blender or food processor. Blend and return to pot. Can be made in advance, refrigerate, then reheat.
Eat a bowl of chili as is
Toppings – chopped tomato, chopped onion, chopped jalepeno peppers, cheddar cheese
Also great with corn chips on a Hot Dog or a Not Dog